Fri. Nov 27th, 2020

    The e-commerce multinational Amazon announced on Tuesday that it plans to hire 100,000 additional employees on a temporary basis to cover the Christmas campaign in the United States and Canada, in a year in which it has already added 175,000 people to its workforce.

    The new hires will be in charge of packing and delivering orders in what is traditionally the busiest season for the company, and which in the United States will begin in less than a month with the celebration of Thanksgiving and will last until the end of year.

    The 100,000 new positions are half of those open to cover Christmas 2019, something that is explained by the increase in personnel already experienced by the company in months that are usually less active, but this time it was triggered by the pandemic of covid-19, such as March and April.

    Of the 175,000 hired so far this year, the firm led by Jeff Bezos indicated that 70% are permanent positions, while the remaining 30% are temporary with priority for future new hires.

    Amazon employs nearly a million people worldwide, of which some 600,000 are in the US, not counting temporary contract workers.

    The Seattle (Washington state) company is living in 2020 one of the best years in its history thanks to the unprecedented increase in online purchases due to the pandemic, and on Thursday it will present the results for the first nine months of your fiscal year.

    In July, Amazon announced a profit of 7,778 million dollars in the first half of 2020, 26% more compared to the same period of the previous year, and a turnover of 164,364 million dollars, which is 33% more compared to the first half of 2019.

    EFE